Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tea From a Mug

Today I wasn't sure what to post.  I have been running around gathering up tax stuff and doing paper work, making appointments, cleaning and whatever.  So there has barely been room in my brain to form a straight thought, let alone be creative.

So after I finally got the important stuff off my "to Do" list, and gave up on cleaning up after a toddler, I put the kettle on to boil.  I need a little break, before I BREAK.  So yes, I boiled it the old way, not the "throw the water in the mug and Microwave (sadly this is what i usually do).

When I reach for a mug, I always think about what one I want to use this time.  I couldn't tell you why it matters to me, but it just does!  Stacked in the very back, peeking out from behind Geoff's new "mike" mug(monsters, Inc) was my pioneer mug.  Our teachers gave them to us the last day of classes.  A pretty perfect keepsake, I think.

As I was getting out my tea, chai(tiny bit of milk and a tiny bit of sugar), and letting it soak, I couldn't help but remember back to pioneer school.  I Loved it.  There are not many things that I can be proud of in life, but that, my friends, is pretty much at the top.  One of the best things for me, was the friends you make.  I met 18 or so of the most fantastic people.  Its honestly heart warming to be in room with those kinds of people.  I will never forget those 2 weeks.

However, I was scared to death.  I am not a studious person.  I'm just not.  And if we're telling the truth, I'm not the smartest kid. And as you know, I'm scared to death of any sort of public speaking.  And then there's the rambling on awkwardly in front of strangers.  Yeah, there's that.

I was placed in a car group of four, one morning, to try out what we had learned.  I was way more at ease in a smaller setting, and was able to relax.   One of the lovely ladies I was with said some things to me that day, that changed the whole way I looked at myself.  And who knows, it might help you too.  I had voiced my thoughts of  not feeling very qualified to be there.  Telling her that, my whole life i have felt not very good at anything, but that I felt I was just about average in most things.  I told her I wish there was just one thing I could be good at, something that I could be confidant about. She Told me she had felt the same way for years, but then she figured something out.  Being "ok" at a lot of things, is what she was good at.  She was able to help out in a lot of different areas, a best she could, and she was ok with that.

Huh, why hadn't I thought of that?  Is there any shame in being useful in a few different areas, and helping out a few different people?  Maybe I can be there to help clean your house, maybe I can bring a salad to dinner, maybe I'm helping you right now.   See, I may not be able to be a Fantastic cook, I may never be able to Jog in a marathon, I may never make a dress that stays together when I'm through sewing it, and I will never be winning any best mom awards.  But, maybe I can be ok with that.  Maybe being "pretty" good at a few things even has its advantages.  Some day you might need me for something and you'll know, I'm willing to try.

See, that was just one memory from pioneer school.  But It was something that made me like "me" a little more.  Well, I'm down to last few sips of tea, and the baby is still asleep.  I feel so. Much. Better.  Do you think my mug has any idea how useful its been to me today?

Hey, maybe that's why it takes me so long to choose my "Tea cup"...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love this post. I actually feel like I can relate so much with you in this department. This is my first month of regular auxiallary pioneering, and I feel like I have so much to learn. I am horrible at RV's! Everyone I know says pioneer school is the best 2 weeks of their life and Im so proud of you !

    ReplyDelete