Monday, March 28, 2011

They say its not the same, but to me it will never change.

You Know, when people from my circle started moving Out West, We started to get a bit alarmed, down home(Just a reminder, I'm from the east coast, Sussex, NB)!  There were a few of us who were excited for the ones that left, most of us wondering what life for them would be like "out west".  But there were a few who thought,(and had no problem voicing it) we should stay.  For Life.

This is in Shediac.  by the beach. A must if your in the area..
I was never really sure whether I wanted to stay or go.  I spent half my days dreaming of being out here on my own and the rest of my days were pretty much kept busy by my friends.  Ya know, when you have the beach at your disposal and your not chasing the dollar bills around, there really is no reason to leave.  Not that I don't think people should see what the rest of this planet has to show you, I'm just saying, that way of life is all most people could ever wish for, really.  When you have a few good friends, a great view, and some place warm to lay your head, your living well, as far as I'm concerned.

This is my BFF since diapers(literally, my next door neighbour when I was born)
and our babies
But I did end up here, the "west", and have found a place, I like to think of, as my home.  I think that makes me a little sad.  But that's only because, there are people 5000km away, that I considered home for 18 years.  You know, I don't have great view here, well not one within 4 hours, but I do have good friends and a place for me and my family to sleep.  I've made some really great memories here too, like :  I meet and married a boy from here and  I delivered the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on.  For those two reasons alone, this place can be called my home.

And I do have the mountains.  There is a bit of a drive, but not too long.  The first time I saw the mountains, I was struck by the unreal beauty of them.  They looked like a picture.  We didn't have that back home.  And there there were the high rises, and wing nights, and the new friends, and, especially, the friends that became my family.

But, to my Friends, family, and Friends who might as well be my family, from the east coast, I will never be able to replace you. I would hope you never think that I forget about you.  There is not a day that goes by that i don't  think about one of you and wonder what it is your doing that night.  If I can share a story about back home, I can't help but smile.  When I do tell stories, I want my people out here to have all the details, so they will fall in love with your charm, like I did. 

I have spent hours, likely, telling people about the sights to be seen "back home".  I Have sold people on trips out there to see you.  I have bragged about the laid back atmosphere(something I miss the most about you).  I talk about how we live a life that's so completely different from here.  At home your welcome to walk in and use our bathrooms if we're not home.  We'll spend our weekends and evenings, moving our friends, fixing your cars, repairing your roof, or building your deck.  You can pay us in beer.  You can drop in unannounced and be welcomed.  We'll give everything in our fridge and apologize for not having enough.  We remember what your favorite food is, so we can have it in stock.  We like were we're from and we're pretty unapologetic about it.

Mom and Dad #2, and my other Bff from Diapers
You you haven't seen the East coast, its a shame, I think.  No, we aren't exempt from life pressures.  There are still divorces, sadly.  Families struggle.  People still get sick.  But there's something different about the way we live.  and Its nothing I can explain on here.  If your wondering, well, you really gotta go.

They had a BBQ for us when we went home!  So Sweet!
That's why, I can have lived here almost 9 years, and still be homesick.  They say once your an east coaster, your one for life.  That's true I think.  I really hope I can raise my baby to have the heart of an east coaster, since she can't have our accent(which, is just a shame).  I hope she loves the ocean more than the mountains.  I hope she can be happy here but always be looking for a way to the Ocean.

So, to my east coast friends, I haven't forgotten my roots.  I haven't forgotten you.  I really hope I still have the Maritime in me.  I hope I always will.  I hope, maybe, you think of me, just as much as I think of you.  I hope you can remember a story or 2 about me.  I hope when you tell that story, you'll smile. 

I might have lost the ocean, but I apparently, never lost the accent;) 







1 comment:

  1. i agree. im the same with people in toronto. there is nothing i like mmore then taking cars full of people to see that part of me, see what i grew to love, and what i will always miss

    ReplyDelete