Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'll tell you my dirty little secret, hope that you can keep it!

I have a secret.  I try to hide it.  But everyday I have anxiety that someone will find out.  Its awful really.  But I thought, today, I'm gonna show somebody, and who are you gonna tell anyway, right?

I like to try to keep a tidy house.  I was way better at it before I had a toddler- I swear.  But now, and even back than, I admittedly try to rush through my house cleaning.  I mean, I make sure my surfaces are clean and yuck free and I vacuum everyday, wash my floors every 2 to 3 days(Yes, it gets that dirty)  But when it comes to clutter, my answer in a hurry is "shove it away where it cant be found"  Yea, not really words to live by.

So today, I put my poor sick baby to bed and decided to tackle a few horribly horrible hiding spots.  Ready for the reveal?  So embarrassing, but here goes..
 
da da daaaa.. lazy suzanne


Yuck.  I have never ever know how to use this thing.  I hated it.  So there you have it.  So today I tackled this along with a few other things.  Then I kinda thought, maybe a good topic for today's post should be about organizing, and one of my favorite things- making the best use of the things(and space) you got!

Since I have lived outside my parents home, I have had limited space.  But only within the last few years have I learned to work with "clutter" I love, to STORE things that needs a home.

 I am forever throwing away potatoes that go bad because they are under my sink- gone and forgotten(we don't eat potatoes that often).  So recently I was given some crystal treasures that I couldn't say no to.  Well I washed them up, along with my baby potatoes and found a home for them both. 

Traditionally, we display fruit, but when space is limited, be creative! 


I always like to try to have like things together, If at all possible.  And when I spotted this tin, I needed it, but wasn't entirely sure for what!(often my problem)  But Once I got it home, I figured it out quickly enough.  I store flour bags, sugar bags, and other baking things. This idea works for me, maybe not you, but keep an open mind people!




And I seem to really like containers with writing on them.  So Into my cart they go.  Do you share this love.  Don't be afraid to use them.

 Now in my coffee tin I actually store Granola bars, suckers and other snacks.  The Tea?  Tea believe it or not.  And the yellow in the back Is a picture.  If you have limited cupboard space, try displaying a pretty picture, or something you find Great!  It frees up room in the cupboards and you actually get to see some of the things you buy!

And that sort leads into my next couple of pic's.  I have a couple of cook books I like to flip through regularly so I like to have them close.  As well, when I get the urge to bake, I like to have it out as well(ok its bragging rights really)  So I like to display those as well.  The cake plates really make things look good and free up space again!

If you look close you will see a keepsake I got ME in Disney.   



Ok lastly, are the more obvious ones, but cookie jars!! Use them!  You don't have to store homemade ones either.  Or even cookies.  Mine held tootsie rolls for the longest time.  And the other one, if you need more room in your drawers, this is the way to go. 





SO that's that, for now, anyhow.  Oh Yea? And My shameful secret, well I feel a huge weight was lift, letting you see that.  I was also motivated to tidy it up!



3 comments:

  1. ahhhhh come decorate my house. my house is organized and clean, but no personality. i always want to buy every canister and tin but i just can't make it look like delayna's... you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea Me either, delaina is a world of her own.. oh well... how are you gonna deco your BNB?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh.... i'm making a old door into a headboard.... try to find me some bedding to inspire me..... its wide open right now. i think a trip to edmonton is in store for me!!!

    ReplyDelete